Sunday, October 11, 2009

What just happened?

My birthday is coming up, which is normally a good thing. However, for some reason, it just hasn't been my best day. I can remember numerous times getting injured (diving into the shallow end of the pool and scraping my whole chest along the bottom, breaking two ribs in high school football), getting sick (three times that I can remember, both feeling like death was only a puking away), girlfriend broke up with me in junior high (I think we had been "going out" for two whole weeks. I was heartbroken). Last year on my birthday, I took the day off from work to putz around the house. I ended up getting a hernia lifting a piece of drywall.



So you see, October 13 and the days that surround it just haven't been that kind to me. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten my share of great gifts, gotten to go to a couple of Illinois football games (which by the way are winless when I've gone) and of course Michelle's special good gift, wink wink. So, I shouldn't be too surprised as to the events that have transpired this weekend. Work went ok on Friday, except I slept at the rink. I closed on Friday night, finally turning off the lights at 12:30 and had to open on Saturday at 7:00. Instead of losing an hour of sleep due to driving 30 minutes each way, I just brought my air mattress and spent the night. Not the first time I've had to do that so not that big of a deal.

As a result, I missed the Big Ten Networks Friday Night Tailgate show from Champaign, an Illinois volleyball game on ESPN and the two baseball playoff games. Saturday was the killer. Illinois lost to Michigan State, the Cardinals got swept by the Dodgers and Iowa beat Michigan. On Sunday, the Packers don't play and the Vikings won.

What a crappy weekend. Anybody want to trade birthdates? Maybe I'll have better luck on April 30th or Sept 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment