Monday, August 24, 2009

Wow

I'm sure all of us have a friend that no matter what your intentions are, something crazy always happens. You two could plan on going to the store just to buy toilet paper and end up in Tijuana Mexico on some search for the perfect pair of silver earrings for your spouse. For me, that's my friend Brian. Oh the stories I could tell. Nothing really bad has ever happened to us. Only a midnight trip to Chicago, our car getting impounded, and almost drowned on a ship a little more water tight than the Titanic. Yes, that's right, I've been on a boat that has almost sunk. Last weekend, I was helping him shovel 10 tons of gravel at their new campsite. He and his wife have bought the American Dream. 1/2 an acre on a piranha infested lake out in the middle of nowhere with no electricity, no water and no toilet. Actually, it's quite nice and I'm a little jealous. And they have a really, really, really nice camper, a semi-level spot with trees and if you squint hard enough, you can see the lake. It's only an hour away from Cedar Rapids so it's close enough for us to mooch off them, but yet far away enough for us to say, no thanks I have to wash my hair. You have nice personality, but I only like you as a friend. Oh wait, sorry. Flashback to my high school, college years. Who am I kidding, my wife still says that to me.

Anyway, after we got done with the rocks, we hooked up with some friends on their parents party barge. Cruising along at, oh I'd say, 2 knots when all of a sudden the front of the boat started going under. Luckily the Captain, DJ, calmly said, everybody to the back of the boat. Of course everybody was screaming. And I forgot to mention that there were 6 kids with us, all under the age of 8? (sorry Leah if you're 9, I can't remember. Too many shots to the head in 8th grade dodge ball). For a second or two, I really thought the boat was going to tip over so I grabbed Molly by the back of the life jacket and was ready to pull a Jack from Titanic and jump in, but then the boat sort of righted itself and all was good. Well, mostly good, I lost our camera and three princess dive toys. Oh the humanity. Just another chapter that is the saga of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment